Chinese firm sues Obama to block wind farm

Posted on October 3, 2012

0


By Reuters
02/10/2012 – 06:28 PM
zocalo
Estadeos States. – A small Chinese company sued U.S. President Barack Obama, to block his plans for a wind farm that were near a military site, saying that the President exceeded his limits and the law, according to court documents released Tuesday .

Ralls Corp said that when Obama last week ordered the company to get rid of their projects for reasons of national security, exceeded its power to dictate the terms of the sale, allowing the Government to review its operations and not to treat the company as equal required by law.

The request is made during the final weeks of the presidential campaign, in which Obama’s Republican rival, Mitt Romney, accused the president of being soft on China.

Ralls Corp, which is owned by two Chinese, initially sued the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS for its acronym in English) in September to order the company to stop operations temporarily while the government completed its investigation and gave their recommendations to the president.

The possibilities of the company winning the lawsuit are slim due to the vast authority of the president in national security issues.

“It will be a tough battle,” said Josh Zive, a lawyer at the law firm Bracewell & Giuliani that CFIUS has handled cases for about 10 years.

“There is a wide discretion given to agencies not only, but also in the context of national security, it will be difficult to win the lawsuit,” he added.

Obama issued an unusual presidential order on Friday saying that there was evidence that led him to believe that executives Ralls Group Corp and China Sany Group who own the firm may take actions that are considered a threat to U.S. security.

Posted in: Uncategorized