GMT 13:17 2012 September 25
A. P. B.
Saudi authorities announced that it was monitoring the situation closely following the death of two people and wounding a third, a rare form of influenza virus similar to “SARS” with the Hajj season approaches, stressing that it is limited to only two deaths in three months.
Riyadh: pilgrims began arriving to Saudi Arabia to perform the Hajj, which will culminate in the Eid al-Adha in late October next, while the number is expected to reach to three million pilgrims, including two million from abroad, and a million third from the inside.
The resulting virus, “crowns” for the deaths of two Saudis and wounded country, was in the kingdom, in poor health, and was taken to a London hospital, where he is still receiving treatment, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday.
Said Gregory Hartl, a spokesman for the organization said that “a man diagonally was treated at a hospital in his country, he was flown to Britain, where he put in the intensive care unit in a hospital specialist,” adding that he is suffering respiratory infection and kidney failure Hadan.
Health Organization confirmed that the virus of the family of viruses crowns, but it is not the SARS virus, which emerged in 2002, and led to the death of 800 people. “This is a new virus.”
For his part, said Ziad Memc agent and the Saudi Ministry of Health for Preventive Medicine, told AFP that “the virus is in the Kingdom three months ago,” referring to “two new confirmed cases so far.” “The third case is still subject to laboratory tests that have not finished yet.”
Memc continued that “the situation is reassuring, only two in three months (…) We do not expect a big problem, but no one knows the future, and we in the Ministry of Health are willing and ready in hospitals, and we are working our preventive actions.” So far, authorities have not taken a decision additional preventive steps during the pilgrimage season.
He ruled Undersecretary undergo pilgrims coming from abroad for any additional preventive measures, saying “there are no new measures we will ask to take pilgrims, if we know something new, we will announce it immediately, but will be applied to the usual preventive requirements.”
In turn, the spokesman stressed media ministry spokesman Khaled Marghalani told AFP “there are no modifications to the requirements set by the Ministry of Health to the pilgrims, the conditions developed after studying the epidemiological situation around the world.”
“It’s the same previous conditions of the past year, and the ministry is closely monitoring, and in the case of any change will be provided with all the competent authorities with information and procedures.”
In the same context, said the Supreme Council for Public Health in Qatar late Monday evening, “the absence of any other case in the country, with the exception of the citizen who is undergoing treatment in London” and fell ill after returning from Saudi Arabia. The Director of Public Health said Mohammed bin Hamad al-Thani during a press conference that the patient in the country to London is a case “only” in this country.
He no transmission from the patient, who spent two months in a hospital in Doha to members of his family and the medical staff who were in contact with him during this period. Thani said, “We have the necessary tests as soon as we have received the communication from the World Health Organization (WHO), We have not found confirms that the virus was contagious.”
He noted that the health authorities decided to transfer the patient to London after a series of tests that showed not a virus “SARS”. He took charge of the country the press conference to appeal to its citizens wishing to perform the Hajj to take all necessary precautions before heading to Saudi Arabia.
Also urged them to vaccinate themselves in the necessary time and sterilize their hands repeatedly and the use of respirators. In the meantime, Professor John Watson, head of respiratory diseases in Britain’s Health Protection Agency “to take immediate steps to ensure that people are not injured patient callers located in Britain, and there is no evidence to suggest that.”
He said, “Given that we do not know only two cases of HIV infection in the world, there is no evidence of transmission.” “In the current time is not taken specific action in relation to the population or to travelers returning, but we will share the general public on any tips as soon as more information becomes available to us.”